Friday, April 20, 2012

Charlie's First Bath: I survived!

Charlie's First Bath: I survived!
Charlie the clean dog


I got ambitious this morning. Charlie was hanging around the tub while i had my shower, so, as I got dressed, I thought "Ok, why don't I give him his first bath?" It was definitely an "oh boy" moment. 


He followed me from the bathroom to the kitchen to get a couple of big water jugs. He followed me back to the bathroom and watched with great interest when I filled them up with slightly warmer than room temperature water. His ears perked up when I took off his collar. I had left the water running at a comfy temperature in the bathtub.


Poor little guy didn't know what to do when I put him in the tub! At first he tried to scramble out, but I kept a firm hand on his back and the other on his head, telling him what a "good dog" he was (he lives for that). The tub mat really helped him feel more confident. Once he got used to the sound of the running water, I kept up a commentary with him, telling him what I was doing when I poured the water from one jug over him, and putting a gentle shampoo on him, rubbing it into his thick fur. By the time the rinsing came, he was standing quietly, seeming to enjoy it. I shampooed twice, taking care to avoid the nose and eyes (I learned that previously with my older dog), rinsed him well and then got the big old bath towel and picked him up, wrapping him in it and blotting the water as best I could.


After all was done, I wrapped him in the dry part of the towel and picked him up, hugging him and telling him how GOOD he was. His eyes were bright, his ears perked up and his tail was wagging.


Then I opened the bathroom door.


"Oh boy."


Charlie started racing around the apartment, scooting over the carpet, rubbing his face on the nap of the rug and jumping from love seat to ottoman to couch to floor. He flew into the kitchen and scooted through the dining room. He was a blur! 
Charlie, the great blur!


I laughed so hard that my sides hurt as I tried to take his photo several times.


His bright little eyes shone as I finally (briefly) captured him on film. Hooray, we survived!

He "told" his buddy, Chewie all about it when we went outside to dry off on a nice long walk (and I do mean "we!"). It was such a warm morning! He presented himself, all clean and shiny to his buddy. Chewie sniffed him and sneezed, and Charlie sniffed Chewie and sneezed. All was right with the world! Chewie's owner, Brian, said all the appropriate things and Charlie was quite proud of himself. He was a "Good Boy!"

I did notice, however, that he's avoided the bathroom since we got home...


(Next time: on to the next great adventure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment