Saturday, October 13, 2012

You Can Teach a Young Dog New Tricks

 You Can Teach A Young Dog New Tricks
Charlie and the Giant Fish that Mike bought him
Dachshunds are supposed to be notoriously stubborn and difficult to teach. Cocker Spaniels are intelligent and loving dogs. Charlie, a mix of both, is changing all the rules as he settles into domestic bliss in his home. Sure, he still pulls at the leash, but he also listens to verbal cues and definite non-verbal tugs on the leash when we have a different destination in mind. He also knows the meaning of "car-car ride" and "going to the mail box" or "let's go to the garbage," heading in the right direction without needing us to guide him. He's also learned to be a real clown.

Charlie has discovered that nothing is more fun than making us laugh. I have to admit that I often find myself chuckling and even chortling at his antics, which makes him so happy. Tongue out, he runs around the apartment, only to return and poke his nose at me to make me laugh again.
Guess who?
He's also found out that "Where's Charlie?" can be a great game to play when I am making the bed. He thinks he sneaks under the blanket without me seeing him (yeah, right) and then he wriggles around in delight, covered, until I say "Where's Charlie?" By the third repetition he can't contain himself anymore, looking more and more like a sand worm from Dune as he rears around, nose poked up, waiting for my "Peek-a-Boo!" as I uncover him. We don't get out much, ok? We need to make our own entertainment!


He's also turned into "Daddy's Little Boy" at the computer. It isn't enough to have his own chair by our computer chair - oh no! He complains until Mike takes him onto his lap while he's playing his games or fixing up his fantasy football or horse racing stats. I have often caught them with Charlie lolling on his back, tongue hanging out, while Mike absently pats his chest or stomach. He calls him "Good Luck Charlie" or "Bonus Charlie" when he hits a lucky slot play online. What characters! And me, the only girl in the house!

When we watch TV, he is often between us, soaking up attention. And forget my crocheting when  he wants to flop down on his back on my lap: he just clambers on up over yarn and project, staring me right in the face until I put it down and then he throws himself backward into the crook of my elbow for me to talk to him and cuddle with him. When we go to bed, who crawls into the valley we create? Sometimes I have to wonder who's training whom, and who's learning the new tricks, anyway, but I have to admit, for love and enduring entertainment value, there's nothing like a Charlie in the house! And, between you and me, it's given Munchkin a new lease on life. I actually caught him rubbing his head against Charlie the other day. It lasted a brief moment, until Charlie started chasing him again, but still.....




No comments:

Post a Comment