Monday, February 23, 2015

A Sad Dog's Tale - or When We Went on Vacation Without Charlie

Charlie at Christmas - just before our Vacation
It's been a while since the last post - far too long, in fact - and Charlie decided that he wanted to do this one in the words of a Dog.  I will simply translate his story of our 2 week vacation to Disney World and how he felt while we were gone.

"I liked turkey days. Many treats and happy times. Many silly times when I was told to hold still while I wore my silly hat and collar. Then the BIG TREE was emptied of all the shinies and the turkey smell went away. The loud machine roared and then it was quiet and Mom had 'cleaned up after Christmas,' or that's what they said. My toys were ok and that's all that mattered. I checked and all my parts were still there, so THERE, loud machine!

My mom and dad (the soft Alpha and the one who cuddles) told me they were going away and would be back soon. They were very nice to me, patting me and calling me GOOD BOY, which I like, but I sensed some nervousness on their part. What did they mean "going away?" What was that and how would it affect my walkies and treats?

Those big soft boxes on wheels grew and got fatter with stuff pushed inside as dindin turned to walkies and then snack time. There was something new in the air - a smell that was a bit bitter and sweet at the same time. They kept saying they were "excited but nervous" about leaving me. What did that mean? They brought a NEW FRIEND to meet me. Mom said she was Peggy and that she would play with  me and give me snackies. That's nice, but why not Mom? What was happening?

Breakfast turned to snack time after walkies followed by naptime and then to lunch time and walkies and snack and walk time once more. It got dark, it got light and then the big boxes got moved into the living room. Peggy came to see me and we got to like each other. Grumpy CAT was not pleased. He told me this had happened before and that they were GOING AWAY. What was that? Breakfast had always turned to naptime and lunch time and walkies before dindin and bedtime for as long as I could remember. The last time someone had GONE AWAY I had been ALONE. I was not pleased. I put my head down flat on my paws in protest when I saw them get dressed in their outer fur. I turned my head away. They smiled and patted me. I stayed not pleased until they left, then ran to the window to see if they would come back. They did not. My protest had not been noticed! The CAT was also displeased. He opened one eye and closed it again to nap. I felt I had no choice but to do the same.

Later, the door opened. My tail wagged and my tongue came out. I was happy. My protest HAD been noticed and my humans were home. NO, it was Peggy, the quiet one who smelled nice and was calm. Where were Mom and Dad? She patted me and said it was ok and put on my leash. I went walkies with her, but it was different. She gave CAT and me a snack. We would not eat them, so she put them by our dishes. She stayed to pat us, then left. All alone with CAT again. I was not pleased. After finally deciding to eat my snack - but not my food - I went to sleep. The door opened again. Once more I was fooled. It was Peggy. I was growing to like her, even though when she came, Mom and Dad were GONE. CAT was no company, so I was glad that she sat with me and brushed my hair. After some time, even CAT grew to like her and purred when she brushed his hair. How odd. Days went by, breakfast into light and snacks and walkies, then naptime until she came for lunch and on and on. She gave me extra treats like peanut butter smushed into my food and little bits of cheese. At least someone hadn't forgotten me. Even CAT was not being grumpy. I guess he was happy that I was there.

Years later, the door opened and it was Mom and Dad! They laughed when I gave an undignified squeak when I saw them. It just came out! I was so happy! They were back! I got all my favorite toys to show them. CAT was winding around them and me. All was right with the world! We had walkies, we had snack, I napped and they were still there! At night time I slept with Mom and during the daytime I slept with dad. It was good and right. I kept peeking to make sure they were really there. When Peggy came by, I was happy to see her, but I kept rolling my eyes toward Mom while they were making those annoying talking noises. My tail wagged and my eyes rolled. They laughed. But it was good and everyone was happy. I don't know what "missed means," but I think it means that while they were away I was not happy and now that they are here, I am a happy boy. Even CAT is trying to scratch me again, so all is good. Time for a nap! That is my story."

No comments:

Post a Comment